Last week we discussed the use of synthetic fabrics in modern cloth nappies. We found that synthetic fabrics best not be used against baby’s skin whereas a natural alternative fabric should be considered.
What is a natural cloth nappy fabric?
There are many fibre blends that can make up a natural cloth nappy fabric. To keep it simple, we will only discuss the four major natural cloth nappy fabrics.
Cotton is definitely the most common natural cloth nappy fabric and is typically what the ‘traditional’ cloth nappy is made up of – you know the nappy that starts as a square piece of fabric and then is folded into a cloth nappy.
Most bath towels are made from cotton so it is safe to say that cotton is
- Easy to care for
- Readably available and trusted fibre making it a cheaper natural cloth nappy fabric
- Breathable – comfortable against baby’s skin
- Quick to dry
- Durable – lasts a long time
Bamboo is becoming a very popular natural cloth nappy fabric and it is easy to see why:
- Luxuriously soft to touch
- Extremely absorbent – the most absorbent of all natural cloth nappy fabrics
- Quick to absorb
- Naturally antifungal and antibacterial
- Great for sensitive skin
- Breathable – comfortable against baby’ skin
While it is a great cloth nappy fabric, bamboo does take longer to dry and may shrink overtime if subjected to high heat when drying.
There has been a gradual introduction with Hemp in cloth nappies as it is
- More absorbent than cotton but slow to absorb
- Quick to dry
- Naturally antibacterial and antifungal
100% hemp can be rough to touch so it is best used as a blended fabric.
Wool is generally used as an exterior natural cloth nappy fabric or nappy cover, particularly worn at night time over a modern cloth nappy. It is:
- Highly breathable
- Naturally occurring water repelling properties that contain leaks
- Absorbent – able to absorb up to 30% of its weight in liquid and not feel wet as it encourages evaporation.
- Naturally neutralises odours
- Easy to care for fabric.
Choosing to use natural cloth nappy fabrics as opposed to a synthetic cloth nappy fabrics will certainly assist you and your baby in understanding their toileting habits/needs. Yes … you may have to change your baby a few more times in the day but if it means less nappy rash and possibly easier toilet training, then to me, it is worth considering.
Happy baby = happy mother!
Whether you choose cotton, bamboo, hemp or wool as part or all of your modern cloth nappy then you will not be disappointed with these natural cloth nappy fabrics.
At BellaBott we only offer Bamboo Cloth Nappies as we believe bamboo is the best natural cloth nappy fabric.
Feel free to share as this may help someone you know.